Clark and Hogg Family History

click here


Capt. George Lyon

go back to Lyon family

Brother of Catherine Lyon and Robert Lyon
Captain George Lyon (1790-1851)
Captain George Lyon was born in lnverurie, Aberdeenshire, Scotland in 1790, the son of George Lyon, long time Baillie (Mayor) of that town. He was the grandson of James Lyon. The younger George was a military man who was commissioned Ensign in the 40th Foot in 1806 and Lieutenant two years later. In 1809 he transferred to the l00th Foot Glasgow Infantry Regiment. This regiment had come to Canada in 1805. He joined them in Canada in November 1810.
War of 1812
Serving in the War of 1812, he was present at the capture of the American gunboats Growler and Eagle at lie aux Noix, Lower Canada (Quebec), and was put in charge of the American prisoners who were removed to Montreal. On the Niagara frontier on this continent at Lundy's Lane and Chippawa (Niagara Falls area), he commanded the regiment's eighth company at the Battle of Chippawa on July 5, 1814. At the latter location, he carried his friend Lt. Maxwell wounded from the battlefield (Lt. Maxwell would later become father-in-law to George Lyon's son Robinson E Lyon). George himself was severely wounded at the Battle of Chippawa Creek but he recovered and continued to serve with the 100"' (renumbered 99''' in 1816] until it was disbanded in 1818.
In 1812 (or 1813), George was married at Sorel, Quebec to Catherine Radenhurst (born 1793 in Lower Canada, also known as Canada East and later Quebec), daughter of Captain William Radenhurst. Captain William Radenhurst was born in Cheshire, England and had come to Lower Canada in February 1776 as storekeeper to the hospital at Trois-Rivieres. Ten years later in Montreal, he married Catherine Campbell. the daughter of a loyalist. Captain William Radenhurst was the Commanding Officer of Fort William Henry at Sorel, in Canada East, and later served at Fort St. Johns located on the Richelieu River. His wife, Catherine Campbell Radenhurst was the sister of Mrs. Thomas Rideout, the wife of the Surveyor-General and both of them were the daughters of Alexander Campbell of Adolphustown, Canada West, near Kingston. Captain Radenhurst died in 1805 leaving eight children under the sole care of their strongwilled mother. She managed to get commissions in the army for two of her older sons and later to have the son Thomas accepted at John Strachan's Home District Grammar School at York (Toronto). From there lie went oil to study law in the office of his cousin George Rideout. Thomas Radenhurst became a prominent lawyer in Perth, Ontario and also served as a Member of the Legislature for Upper Canada. In those days, the wives of officers often accompanied their husbands to the postings and lived in cramped quarters in the fortresses. This too seems to have been the case with George Lyon. Catherine obviously moved with him since the Census of 1851 lists his daughter Ann as born at Chippawa. George Byron was George's first male child, born back at Sorel in 1815. It is not known where their third child, Mary Eliza, was born in 1819 (probably in Richmond), but it is documented that their fourth child was the first male child born in Richmond, William Richmond Radenhurst Lyon born in 1820.
Settling in Richmond, Canada
In the early summer of 1818, the military authorities decided to demobilize the 99th Regiment of Foot Soldiers, which had been a consolidation of the older 99th and 100th Regiments and which had been stationed in Quebec. The members of the 99th decided to settle in Upper Canada (later called Ontario). Following his military career, lie received from the crown a grant of a considerable amount of land in what became known as the Richmond area of Ontario, later given the name of Goulbourn Township of Carleton County, just outside of Bytown (later called Ottawa). He also held property in March Township. The Public Archives of Canada shows documentation that he held deed to 11.000 acres of land on the Jacques (later and still known as Jock) River. Research shows that the amounts of land allotted were according to military rank: 100 acres to a private, 200 acres to a sergeant, 400 acres to a lieutenant and 800 acres to a captain. Another document mentions an amount of 800 acres that he received. It is documented that "In 1820, Captain Lyon built mills above the village and constructed the great dam which drowned the country above it for many miles, turning it into a hunter's paradise for many years." Lyon claimed the mills cost 1.00 pounds to build. The sawmill was erected about 1821 and by April, 1826 the grist mill was fully operational. To the mill complex, he added a distillery, which began production early in 1827, a fullingmill, a forge, and a store at which he sold spirits and other goods, and he engaged in the potash trade. Given their backgrounds, it was natural that Lyon and other officers formed an elite group for leadership and positions of prominence. Officers were on half pay whereas general settlers were permitted to draw army rations for the first year, and were issued with the following tools and stores: 1. To the head of each family: 1 axe, 1 broad axe, 1 mattock, I pickaxe, I spade, I shovel, I hoe, I scythe, 1 draw knife, 1 hammer, I handsaw, 2 scythe stones, 2 files, 12 panes of glass and 1 pound of putty, 12 pounds of nails (in three sizes), I camp kettle, I bed tick, and I blanket. 2. For every five settlers: 1 crosscut saw, I whipsaw, I grindstone. 3. For the settlement: 2 complete sets of carpenter's tools. The foregoing lists suggest a marginal living standard, but this was not always the case for the community elites. During the next year, Captain George Lyon, now a storekeeper, imported luxury items from Montreal such as bone china, crystal glasses, swan's down silk, fine lawn, and gold jewellery. A further indication of the community's refinement was the demand for books, including the current issues of the illustrated magazine Life in Paris. The principal markets outside the local area for the flour, lumber, and whisky were Montreal and the Point (Ottawa). For erecting his mills, George received, in an agreement with the Quarter-Master General's Department, extra land in the village and in Goulbourn. He was later allowed to patent even more land to compensate for the property flooded by his mill pond. Documentation shows that he and also the Radenhurst family (his in-laws) at one time owned land in the region of Sorel, Quebec, as well. George Lyon was noted for many accomplishments: - He cut down the first tree in the area that would become Richmond. - He was responsible for most of Richmond's industry, having run a grist mill, distillery, saw mill and fulling mill - all operated by water power provided by a dam he constructed on the Jock River (a.k.a. Goodwood River) near the foot of Fortune Street. - He served as Justice of the Peace. - He worked as a half - pay officer for the militia. -
Until the 1840s, he was one of a small group of men, many of whom lived in or adjacent to Bytown, who effectively controlled that community. - He served in the assembly of Upper Canada, elected in 1832. He was defeated in the elections of 1836 and 1844. - He represented Carleton County in the Legislative Assembly of Canada following the union of Upper and Lower Canada, in 1846 but lost his seat again in 1847 - 1848. Richmond (named after the Duke of Richmond, Governor General) was a major centre of influence both politically and economically for several years. The Richmond "Elite", the core of which was made up of former military officers, held political control during the 1820's in this area. It is written in the Richmond Sesquicentennial Book of 1968 that "Along with Colonel Burke, four other half-pay officers formed the inner core of the `Elite'. This group included Captain John Lewis, Captain George Lyon, !Major Sewell Ormsby, and Lieutenant Maxwell. These men all held various government posts. All four were Justices of the Peace These men also participated in commercial ventures of the town. Captain Lyon founded both the first Mill and Store and continued to be a very successful businessman_ Lieutenant Maxwell became a leading breeder and importer of thoroughbred stock in the district "this Elite' held effective political control during the 1820's when Richmond, with at least a dozen general stores, four breweries and two distilleries. a saw-mill, grist-mill and carding mill, comprised the business and commercial center of the area. From 1824 - 1828 Colonel Burke represented the district in the Legislative Assembly. In 1828, he was replaced by Thomas Radenhurst, a Perth lawyer, brother-in-law of George Lyon, and a candidate who had the sanction of the `Elite"." Unfortunately for the future development of Richmond, the Rideau Canal was built between Bytown (Ottawa) and Kingston. This was the major transportation system for the area. The Jock River was only a small tributary of the Rideau and was isolated. With the construction of this Bytown canal in 1826 and the rapid development of the lumber industry along the Ottawa River. Bytown became the hub of activity and Richmond gradually lost its commercial position. It should be mentioned that these two settlements were less than 20 miles apart. During the building of the canal, Richmond had prospered since the workers were largely dependent on local supplies. With the completion of the canal, not only did commercial loyalties switch, but also political loyalties moved away from the Richmond group. In the election of 1832, the loyalties came down to a battle between two "Elite" groups of the area. No longer could the Richmond group provide the greater number of favours in the area. George Lyon was the candidate for the Richmond group and lost out to the opposition. Later due to voter irregularities, the winner had to resign his seat in favour of George Lyon. "Although the Richmond leaders, Lewis, Malloch and Lyon continued to hold office during the 1830's, Richmond's power was gone and many of the leaders forsook their old home for the rising young town with a future - Bytown. Thus Richmond's days of glory were over and its days of memories had begun." This brought about considerable financial strain on the George Lyon businesses. In 1841, he seriously considered renting out his mill and moving. In 1849, he was forced to sell his half pay to discharge a property obligation. He was gazetted a lieutenant in the Royal Canadian Rifles that year but immediately sold his commission to another officer. Captain George Lyon died in 1851 and is buried in St. John's Anglican Cemetery in Richmond, Ontario. His wife, Catherine Radenhurst Lyon, died on September 10, 1857 at the age of 64 years and 6 months. She too is buried in Richmond, however the location of her grave is unknown. Her tombstone was found inside the cemetery vault and, to this date, has not been repaired and re-erected near the tomb of her husband.
Captain George Lyon & The Soldier Settlers Carving Out a Home from Carleton Saga
by H. & O. Walker

The future Capital was largely a cedar swamp with hemlock and pine-topped ridges of rock cropping out here and there. Dow's great swamp stretched almost from the Rideau to the Ottawa. Of the landfall of the flotilla at our Chaudiere and the forbidding terrain of primeval Ottawa, an early writer has recorded "The very port they sailed into below the Chaudiere Falls was called Bellow's Landing, but this, they threw to the wild tempestuous winds, and called it Richmond Landing. Here they moored their little boats and landed their families and household goods. The little store kept by Jehiel, son of Capt. Collins, furnished some things they required and they pitched their tents over the plain, known for some time as the Flats. Here was a collection of fine ladies, many of them very fair; and gallant gentlemen. "Among the many beautiful girls, perhaps the most beautiful was the then little Miss Hill, who afterwards became the wife of Edward Malloch, the -LP. for twenty years for Carleton. These colonists did not seem to see any attraction in the surroundings of the Chaudiere, a settlement where the city now stands. Most of the place was a cedar swamp, of deep, thick mud, so soft and watery that trees might be said rather to float than grow on it .. . "The Government Hill (now Parliament Hill), and Ashburnham Hill (now the slight rise in the area of Somerset West, Cooper and Lyon streets) were then covered with hemlock, beech and maple. The rest of the place was a deep swale, through which years after, when the cows waded along Bank and O'Connor streets, they had to be washed before they could be milked." Gourlay's History of the Ottawa Valley, p. 70. In bark huts and crude shelters that mushroomed all over the Landing and the Le Breton "Flats" the families managed to exist while their men folk under Color-Sergeant Hill commenced their desperate offensive against the forest, cutting a road through to their locations 20 miles inland. When that was completed they had to construct permanent log cabins. It was a race against time, for the winter frosts came early that year, and the pioneers suffered greatly. Many of them did not move out from the "Landing" until nearly Christmas. Their first Canadian winter resulted in two casualties. It is recorded that one man, William Dennison, of the 99th, died during the sub-zero temperature as a result of exposure, while a woman named Osborne was frozen to death while returning from Richmond Landing. Undaunted by the bush and swamp which stretched away southwestward, the men started to slash a road through it while the families were left in their shelters all the way between Richmond Landing and Holts and Honeywclls. In telling of the tremendous work involved in this undertaking, one of the early chroniclers states: "To cut forty logs and draw them for the construction of one building would be labour for twenty good strong men, even if the trees stood around the spot where the building was to be erected. The balsam rafters were to be peeled, fitted, and the boards sawed, shingles to be made by hand, and a chimney of some kind put up. How they managed to get so many houses fit to be occupied by white people before the thermometer registered zero is a mystery unsolved to this day." By late November many of them must have reached their wilderness habitation at Richmond for on November 26, 1818, Colonel Cockburn wrote Bowies at Quebec that "four hundred heads of families have already been located in the vicinity of Richmond . houses are building and seven or eight Half-Pay Officers have fixed upon it as their place of residence." Colonial Office Records Q 152 Pt I Archives of Canada.

insert picture
Soldier Settlers of the 99th and Moth Regiments building a rough road from Richmond Landing at the Chaudiere to their wilderness settlement at Richmond in the late summer and fall of 1818. Working against the descent of winter the discharged soldiers lead also to build shelters for their families until they could both finish the road and construct homer in Richmond. (Thin was one of the murals completed before his death by the famous Canadian artist,
the late Charles W. Jefferys, R.C.A., L.L.D.
The William Dennison mentioned on the previous page as having perished from exposure has proven to be an interesting puzzle. In the summer of the year 2000, an e-mail was forwarded to the writer with information that a query had been received from a descendant of the Dennison who had died, although the name given in the query was John Dennison (1 785 - 1819). The confusion would be easy to make in this sort of research. It was believed that his wife had died soon after. The Widow Dennison and two male children appear on both the Census of 1821 and 1822 as still living in Richmond. After that there is no record so she too may have died around that time as believed. Nothing is known of their burials since no cemetery would have been established at that early time. We know from the query that two orphan sons - John Jr. (born c. 1811) and William (born c. 18 12) survived, and according to the writer of the query, were raised by Captain George Lyon and his family. It is understood that both young men timber trade in the Bytown (Ottawa) area. Apparently both brothers were members of the "Shiners", a tough Irish gang employed by lumber and land barons. Family lore has it that John and William became separated after the infamous Battle of Stoney Monday, part of an 1849 bloody riot between the masses of unemployed "Shiners" and their job competition among the French Canadian workers, which left much of Bytown in rubble. The brothers evidently never saw each other again. (The person making the query is descended from John Dennison's line.) Later John Dennison moved to Lake Dore, north west of Bytown where he was one of the first settlers of the area. A respondent to the query mentions a Dennison couple from that area having a grandson named William Lyon Dennison_ It is interesting that the signatures of Dennisons appear as having been guests in Perth at the wedding of Catherine Lyon and Nelson Brown in 1908. The Census shows that a Dennison lived in the town of Perth at that time and worked as a painter. Could these have been descendants of the orphan boys?
George Byron Lyon-Fellowes - the son of Capt. George Lyon

George Byron Lyon (1815-1876}
(later George Byron Lyon-Fellowes)
Mayor of Ottawa
was the son of Capt. George Lyon.

The grand-son of George Byron Lyon-Fellowes
was an actor, Rockcliffe Fellowes.

George Byron Lyon Fellowes
See link to web-site with George Byron Lyon (Lyon-Fellowes) - site not working George Byron Lyon-Fellowes
Information provided and based upon research by Jim McTavish, Barbara Gibson, Reg Lyon, George Mackenzie, Cynthia Milligan and Wendy Wain.
Robert Lyon, the brother of Capt. George Lyon,
was killed in last fatal duel in Canada - 13th June 1833
see Robert Lyon
George's sister Mary Lyon (b. 1805) died in Kincardine O'Neil, near Aberdeen.
Also references in Bytown
also reference in Dictionary of Canadian Biography Online
George Lyon & the Montreal ‘China’ Merchants
top of page