Family history and genealogy of the Clark, Hogg, Bates, Tennant, Jackson, Hale, Lyon and Lyon-Clark families


Clark and Hogg Family History click here

 

Local History - Daviot, Aberdeenshire

index page

Daviot is located north-west of Aberdeen, near to Inverurie and Oldmeldrum,
and is one of the many parishes of Aberdeenshire, now part of the Grampian region.
 

James Clark was Reverend and schoolmaster in Daviot, Aberdeenshire in 1841.
He is recorded in the !841 Census as a schoolmaster, aged 40,
living at the Schoolhouse, Daviot with his family.

 
Daviot church
Daviot Church
(photograph by Barclay Craig 2005)
 
Education in Scotland during the early 19th century was thought to be better
than in England due to the establish of schools in each parish.
James Clark
was the schoolmaster at the school in Daviot.
The schoolmaster was often the clerk of the Kirk (church)
who prepared local records.
 
Daviot School
 
Many Clark family members have named their houses, businesses
or premises after Daviot.
 
Location of Daviot, Aberdeenshire
Daviot map
A map showing the location of Daviot in Aberdeenshire
(Daviot, Aberdeenshire should not be confused with another
village of Daviot, near Inverness, in Scotland.)
 
1841 Census of Daviot, Aberdeen
Living at the Schoolhouse, Daviot, Aberdeen.
Surname
Forename
Sex
Age Occupation Born
Clark James M 40 Schoolmaster Aberdeenshire
  Elspet F 14   Aberdeenshire
  William M 12   Aberdeenshire
  David M 9   Aberdeenshire
  Anne F 7   Aberdeenshire
  George M 5   Aberdeenshire
Anderson Janet F 20 Female servant Aberdeenshire
Thomson Robert M 15 Agricultural labourer Aberdeenshire
 
James Clark (d. 18th August 1849) and his wife Catherine Clark, nee Lyon, (died
17th April 1836) are both buried at Daviot, Aberdeenshire.
ANESFHS Monumental Index for James and Catherine at Daviot.
Full ANESFHS Monumental Inscriptions (gravestones) in Aberdeenshire.
 
James's youngest son, George (d. 30th June 1866),
his eldest daughter Elspet (Elsie) who married William Barclay
and died 19th April 1877, are also buried at Daviot.
 
The parish is bounded N and NE by Fyvie, E by Old Meldrum, SE by Bourtie,
SW and W by Chapel of Garioch, and NW by Rayne.
 
Adjacent kirkyard/parishes to Daviot are:-
  Bourtie
L Chapel of Garioch
  Culsalmond
CL Fyvie
  Insch
  Keithhall
  Kinkell
  Kintore
  Logie Mar
  Millbrex
C Monymusk
L New Machar
C Oldmeldrum
  Udny
  Woodhead/Fyvie
   
(note C=likely relevant Clark families, L=likely relevant Lyon families)
 
Full ANESFHS Monumental Inscriptions (gravestones) in Aberdeenshire.
 
see also - “The History of the Parish of daviot” by George H. Sinclair
 
Administrative/Biographical History
The estate of Mounie, situated 3 miles north west of Oldmeldrum, Aberdeenshire, was in the hands of the Seton family from 1714 until 1970, when Mounie Castle was sold and the family papers deposited in Aberdeen University Library.
 
For details of the family's history see George Seton, History of the Family of Seton (Edinburgh: Constable, 1896) and Dorothy Johnston, Letters and Papers of the Setons of Mounie, Aberdeenshire, including the Papers of Dr James Anderson (1739-1808), AUL MS 2787 , Reports and Surveys of Archives in Northern Scotland Northern Scotland , 5 (1982), 71-79. Scope and Content Mounie estate papers Inventories, 1716 - 1835; deeds of title, 1690 - 1847; maps, surveys and valuations, 1771 - 1859, including plans and sketch of Mounie Castle, 1859; legal papers, 1700 - 1891, including papers relating to the claim of Glack to use the mosses, 1700 - 1864, and papers relating to the Fingask and Glack marches, 1771, 1871, 1891; rentals and papers concerning leases, 1763 - 1901, including valuations and inventories of bigings and houses let on the estate, 1703 - 1735; estate and household accounts, and miscellaneous financial papers, 1714 - 1832; receipts for public burdens, 16th c - 1865; correspondence concerning estate management, principally from James Allan, factor, to Alexander Anderson Seton (1770 - -850), 1797 - 1852, including some rentals and accounts; papers relating to Daviot church, stipend, schoolhouse and burdens of heritors, 1723 - 1893.
 

 

top of page